The Observation Post
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Movie Review


Please excuse my brief hiatus from the world of blogging, I've been spending a wonderful 3 weeks with Stephanie. You know, exscuse it or not, I loved every minute of it.

We were able to find some time to go view The Guardian with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher during that time. For some reason, I did not have high hopes for this movie. Maybe it's because I've never been a big fan of Costner, and I suspected that Kutcher was a bit of a "one-trick pony" who had reached his zenith with the Punk'd series. Color me pleasantly surprised by his latest performance.

The Guardian is pretty formulaic, if you work at it you shouldn't have much trouble predicting most of the plot points. As noted elsewhere, it borrows heavily from Top Gun, Heartbreak Ridge, and An Officer and a Gentleman - to name a few. Kutcher's character has much in common with Tom Cruise's Pete "Maverick" Mitchell (even down to the sunglasses, or "clamps" as they were known at VMI).

However, I have to say that I was impressed by Kutcher's portrayal of the young, maverick (OK, is using that adjective a bit over the top?) rescue swimmer. All things considered, he did a very solid job, and made his character very believable. You can feel the arrogance of the high school star swimmer, yet there is something else lurking beneath the surface that you can't quite put a finger on until Kevin Costner's character does some digging.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by Kutcher's demonstration of his real acting chops, and I hope to see more of him in similarly dramatic roles. Having seen him in this movie, I think he does have a bit more to offer than Punk'd and My Boss's Daughter let on. Costner does a good job as the salty senior chief, and I can forgive the film's formulaic plot because it is such a fitting tribute to the real-life rescue swimmers. If you think those guys don't earn their pay, then consider this: I've been shot at a time or two, and I know for a fact that I don't have the cojones to jump out of a hovering SH-60 into freezing waters.
 
Comments:
Sorry for the off-topic comment but I didn't see an email address and I'm in an awful rush. Just wanted to thank you for supporting the Marine Project Valour IT team. Don't hesitate to email me if there's anything I can send - code or promo text - I'm sure you're very busy.

But your support is so very appreciated :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Observations of a Marine infantry officer and participant in the Global War On Terror.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Captain in the Marine Corps, and an infantry officer by trade. Currently, I am assigned to 2d Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC), responsible for requesting and directing close air support in support of friendly ground units. I have deployed to the Central Command AOR on four separate occasions, including two tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. I will be returning to Iraq for another go-round in the fall of 2007.

ARCHIVES
April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 /


Powered by Blogger