The Observation Post
Monday, July 24, 2006
Welcome home Spanky


I was searching the web earlier tonight trying to find an article about Gunnery Sergeant Bill "Spanky" Gibson, one of our ANGLICO Marines that was wounded by a sniper in May. I couldn't find the article I was looking for, but I found a thread on the Patriot Guards' forum about his return to Oklahoma. Spanky flew in to Tulsa on July 22nd and was greeted by numerous well-wishers, who convoyed with him all the way to his hometown of Pryor. It was heartwarming to see the support that the Patriot Guards mustered for his arrival, and I would like to thank all of them.



Gunny Gibson was hit in the knee by a sniper's bullet back in May, and after being medevac'd to the States, lost his left leg below the knee. I know, for me, that would be an incredibly demoralizing injury, but the last I heard, Spanky is in great spirits and is planning to continue his service in the Marine Corps. He is pictured above with SSgt Villette (on the left), another 5th ANGLICO Marine, somewhere in Iraq.
 
Comments:
It was my Honor to be the Ride Captain for Spanky's Welcome home Ride. We had about 150 Bikes for this Joyous Homecoming. He wasn't told about a lot of the things that he got, but let's say he was surprised to say the least. You can go to KOTV.com and see the story about him that was on TV. Look under the e-clips or try this link:
http://www.kotv.com/e-clips/?id=3137

It was great and I hope to ride for more of you when you come home. When you talk to him, just call him Rock Star and see what he say's.

Regards,

Jerry Lakey
Ride Captain
N.E. Okla
Patriot Guard Riders
 
Capt. Charlie -
I believe this may be the article you were looking for.

http://www.kotv.com/news/?104933
 
Spanky is one of my best friends and i am glad to say he is well. He is in the process of moving to the hospital in San Antionio. He came to visit me at Sill while he was here. He is walking without any assitants now. GySgt Leroy, Instructor Ft Sill MARDET
Leroyjw.usmc@sill.army.mil
 
If he's a pal of yours, you might be interested in trying to catch him on the CBS Evening News tonight. He'll be featured in the last piece in the show. (12/20/06)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Observations of a Marine infantry officer and participant in the Global War On Terror.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Captain in the Marine Corps, and an infantry officer by trade. Currently, I am assigned to 2d Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC), responsible for requesting and directing close air support in support of friendly ground units. I have deployed to the Central Command AOR on four separate occasions, including two tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. I will be returning to Iraq for another go-round in the fall of 2007.

ARCHIVES
April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 /


Powered by Blogger