The Observation Post
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
The Truth
This is a good letter written by one of the Marines from the MTT.



I felt the urge and need to say something. I want everyone to understand one thing about Iraq. What we are doing here is not only for our country or for you. Our government, as we all know, always has an agenda and we all have the right to speculate as to what that agenda might be. I live, work, eat, sleep, fight and bleed right alongside Iraqi soldiers every day. What everyone must understand is that this portion of the world has been in conflict for thousands of years and what we are doing here is nothing new to them. The fact remains that the majority of Iraqi and Arab people are God or Allah-fearing people and are basically good in their principles. True, they are a lot different than us socially, economically, politically, you name it; but they have the inherent right and desire to have a free and safe nation under a common government. Their government is going to be based on their religion and that is not unique to them but it seems that many people in our society think that this automatically makes them evil. This is simply not true. I have had the honor of meeting some of the most pure people on the face of God's green earth. I might not have a strong religious belief but I can see why the Arab and Iraqi people would have to believe in something larger than themselves in order to survive. The soldiers that I work with are married, single, have kids, have no kids, have big families - I even have a soldier that is with me (and saved my ass one day) who had US bombs kill 3 members of his family in 2003, and nearly kill him, yet he fights with us side by side because he believes Iraq will be a great place one day! I have never seen a society like this one be able to find the joy in life among so much sadness. The horrors that take place here are many and you all know of them, thanks to our not so wonderful media, but what you don't hear about is the victories that we achieve together, US and Iraqi forces side by side, along with the coalition. The families that we have helped, the areas that are free of violence, and insurgents from foreign countries who came here with only the desire to harm innocent civilians and line their pockets in the name of Allah, who are now in jail or dead. When I first arrived at my current location seven months ago we could not walk outside without getting shot at or taking incoming mortar rounds. Those days are long past. Times are changing and progress is being made, understand though, we will have a presence in this part of the world for many, many years to come. I guess what I am getting at is that I do not want to be thanked, congratulated or rewarded for my duties, I only hope that the citizens of our nation, as great as it might be, one day realize that the Marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen that serve along side our coalition partners are here for the guy on the ground next to them. They sweat, bleed, cry, and smile together and this is their family. Many of you will not be able to understand this feeling or have the ability to know what it means but be sure these are the men that fight the good fight, that protect each other, and, maybe for what would seem like a short period of time to you, these men become brothers and trust in each other in a way that you could never ever be able to comprehend. We are not here because of our individual beliefs or those beliefs of our government or our family or friends - we are here for each other. The man in the arena, that is where my respect begins and ends! This is the truth and that is where the "rubber meets the road".

GySgt Richard A. Anderson,
U.S. Marine Corps

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Observations of a Marine infantry officer and participant in the Global War On Terror.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Captain in the Marine Corps, and an infantry officer by trade. Currently, I am assigned to 2d Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC), responsible for requesting and directing close air support in support of friendly ground units. I have deployed to the Central Command AOR on four separate occasions, including two tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. I will be returning to Iraq for another go-round in the fall of 2007.

ARCHIVES
April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 /


Powered by Blogger