The Observation Post
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
The Self-Licking Ice Cream Cone
Apologies to Mr. Robert Kaplan, as I am borrowing the above term from an article he wrote a few years ago following a visit to Afghanistan. When Mr. Kaplan referred to the “self-licking ice cream cone”, he was specifically referring to Bagram Air Field, which by that time had become swollen with various Army and Air Force support personnel who seemed to have no real impact on the war effort. They basically existed to justify their own existence. Of course, this is no isolated incident, it’s in fact a disturbing trend in recent US military history, and all four branches are guilty.

For instance, there is apparently a Corporals Course being held at Al Asad air base. It seems that the units on Al Asad can not only spare enough Marines to teach this course, but also the students to attend it. Meanwhile, advisor teams such as this one are short handed and must stretch themselves thin trying to accomplish their mission, all while constantly exposed to enemy attack. Not to mention frontline infantry units that are stretched to their limits. How does the corporal from 3rd Battalion 5th Marines feel when he hears that his counterparts have the time to learn drill and sword manual at Al Asad? Meanwhile he is manning an observation post along an Iraqi highway, trying to prevent the emplacement of IEDs in his area of responsibility, all while being subjected to attacks by car bombs, RPGs, and snipers.

About a week ago, I received an e-mail telling me where I could find the Al Asad Base Order regarding traffic regulations. It addresses such key issues as wearing headphones while running and coming to a complete stop at stop signs. There are US servicemembers deployed to Iraq who exist for no other reason than to enforce traffic regulations. I’ll say that again; they get paid hazardous duty pay and collect the combat zone tax exclusion so they can write traffic tickets. They even write parking citations! Our combat forces are stretched thin, but we apparently have no shortage of glorified meter maids? It blows my mind! To top it off, violators must report to the base magistrate. So, again, we are paying a field grade officer how much to sit over here and adjudicate traffic violations!?

All of the talk on the news about troop withdrawal mentions, very specifically, withdrawing “combat” troops. I hope that they are ignorantly lumping everyone together as “combat” troops, instead of planning to withdraw actual combat arms units while allowing the Al Asad Meter Maid Platoon to remain. People ask me if I plan to make the military a career, and then act surprised when I say no. Why, they ask? Because, as much as I love my job on the frontlines and the Marines I serve with there, I can’t stand to wear the same uniform as the people who write up traffic regulations for a base in Iraq. I’ve only been able to stomach it this far because I have remained in combat units and away from those people. But then I see things like e-mails about traffic regulations and Corporals Courses in a supposed combat zone, and I realize that I can’t avoid the self-licking ice cream cone forever.
 
Comments:
I've gotten a lot of compliments from the MTT Team on this post, evidently I struck a nerve with this one. What really irks me is that we have something called a force cap, which is the maximum number of forces we can have in country at any time. This is nothing new, you hear it mentioned in the news pretty often. Another term you hear used around the Marine Corps is "boatspace". What I'm wondering is how many boatspaces have been squandered on people who contribute nothing to this fight?

I'll caveat this by saying that there are also support units that are absolutely vital to the war effort. The engineers that built the observation towers are a great example of that. If you're reading this and you fall in that category, I'm sure you know who you are.

All of the stories about Taqaddum and Al Asad remind me of a quote I heard once:

"I went to war and found that a garrison had broken out."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Observations of a Marine infantry officer and participant in the Global War On Terror.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Captain in the Marine Corps, and an infantry officer by trade. Currently, I am assigned to 2d Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC), responsible for requesting and directing close air support in support of friendly ground units. I have deployed to the Central Command AOR on four separate occasions, including two tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. I will be returning to Iraq for another go-round in the fall of 2007.

ARCHIVES
April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 /


Powered by Blogger